Are you under 25 and have a brilliant idea for a business or service? Do you want to share your creative talents and get a great product or idea out into the world? How do you go about setting up your own enterprise in Cornwall?
We have been chatting with one of the county’s Youth Markets about starting out. Penzance Youth Market hold regular events and feature local up and coming talent as well as offer stall space to young entrepreneurs. Their top tips are:
- Do what you love = love what you do.
- Believe in yourself. Henry Ford famously said “whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right”.
- Take the risk. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There’s plenty of sayings about how important it is and to be an entrepreneur, you’ve got to take a risk.
- Set achievable goals. Break your idea down into small steps and start with the first one.
- Find good people who will support you, believe in you and invest in you. Or perhaps find a partner who you can share the journey with.
Maria McKewan from the market, said: “We are just starting to see how much talent and ingenuity there is and every time we run a market, new talents emerge We also love how the young people help each other, both the traders who share their knowledge and ideas with each other and very experienced performers, like Boundless Brothers, who love running the stage and supporting new performers.
“Just believe in yourself (or fake it til you make it – it works!), and work hard. Have a look at Ed Sheeran’s story. He definitely has talent but he has determination too. Steve Jobs of Microsoft said “if you look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.” Talent, self-belief and determination are a winning combo.”